Sunday, November 8, 2009

Rethinking the Tee

I've been going back and forth on the tee shirt design. I've had some edgy ideas, but I want to create something that reflects me and my inner thoughts, not just something that works to fulfill a homework assignment. As such, I will probably go with a pairing that is more pleasing to me and less sensational. It has been said that the Peace Symbol is back by popular demand. This is the one formed with a circle and the three prongs. Originally, the symbol represented the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament. It was adopted as a general sign of peace and became a mega-icon of the hippie era. I am drawn to its simplicity and the fact it is contained within a circle, which reminds me of mandalas and their powerful imagery. Once settled on the peace symbol, I continued to be of two schools of thought. I considered transforming the inner design into a skyward military aircraft, but I have decided to rotate it 180* and allow a tree to grow from it. The peace symbol has been directed at relationships between people, cultures and nations. We can learn a lot from the peaceful ways of nature (ok, excluding the predators and natural disasters). This is the way of the Tao, the natural way of harmony. A tree is a good symbol for this. Additionally, if we fail to treat our planet and all of nature with peace and respect, there won't be any people, cultures or nations left to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment