Sunday, November 22, 2009

My "exhibit in a box"

As I am not sure if I will be able to attend class tomorrow due to illness, I will say a bit about my idea for my exhibit here.

I have decided to do an exhibit on Rachel Carson, marine biologist turned environmental activist, most notably known for her book Silent Spring.
I have long been concerned with the destruction of the environment wrought by people and Ms. Carson's tireless work did much to bring about a new awareness of the devastating results of human actions. My love of nature and interest in birds contribute to my interest in her a a subject. Additionally, my Senior Capstone class, which I am currently taking, is called Global Healing, so I've been doing a lot of thinking on the subject lately. I have several objects that I am considering using including a nest that is nestled in the fork of branches, an ostrich egg, beautiful feathers, a miniature piece I recently created featuring birds and eggs, photos of Rachel Carson and of eggs damaged by DDT. I have considered and rejected numerous container ideas and think I will use an antique Chinese medicine hamper because it has the feel of an old ornithology collection container. As I ride my bike, transportation will be an issue. I may need to be driven to school that day in the interest of preserving such delicate cargo(so knowing which day I will present will be helpful)

No comments:

Post a Comment